Department of Mechanical Engineering
Following are the Research Publications at the School of Engineering:
1. Thapa, B., Dahlhaug, O. G. and Shrestha R, “Turbine laboratory at Kathmandu University for development of alternative energy in Nepal”, 6th International Conference on Hydropower, Tromso, Norway 1-3 February, 2010.
2. Binaya K.C. and Bhola Thapa, “Pressure distribution at inner surface of selected Pelton bucket for micro hydro” Kathmandu University Journal of Science and Technology, VOL. 5, No. II, SEPTEMBER, 2009, pp 42-50
3. Bhola Thapa and Ole Gunnar Dahlhaug, “Turbine Testing Laboratory and its Role in Hydropower Development” HydroNepal, Issue 5, July 2009
4. Bhola Thapa, “Geomatics engineering education in Nepal, Nepalese Journal of Geoinformatics, May-June 2008, No 7, pp 15-18
5. Bhola Thapa, Piyush Upadhyay, Ole G. Dahlhaug, Madan Timsina, Ranjil Basnet, “HVOF coatings for erosion resistance of hydraulic turbines: Experience of Kaligandaki-A Hydropower Plant”, Water Resources and Renewable Energy Development in Asia, Danang, Central Vietnam, 10-11 March 2008
6. Bhola Thapa, Pralhad Chaudhary, Ole G. Dahlhaug, Piyush Upadhyay, “Study of Combined Effect of Sand Erosion and Cavitation in Hydraulic Turbines”, Proc. of Hydro Sri Lanka: International Conference on Small Hydropower, Kandy, Sri Lanka, 22-24 October 2007
7. Hari Neopane, Ole G. Dahlhaug, Bhola Thapa, “Alternative Design of a Francis Turbine for Sand Laden Water”, Proc. of Hydro Sri Lanka: International Conference on Small Hydropower, Kandy, Sri Lanka, 22-24 October 2007
8. Bhola Thapa, Erosion resistant coatings for hydraulic turbines and measurement of erosion resistance of selected coating materials, Journal of Nepal Physical Society, Vol 23(1) 2007, pp 1-6
9. Raju Shrestha and Bhola Thapa, “An Experimental Investigation of the Running a Centrifugal Pump as a Turbine”, Technical Journal of Nepal Engineers’ Association, Vol 1, 2007, pp 141-147
10. Bhola Thapa, Piyush Upadhaya, Prakash Gautam, “Performance Analysis of Pelton Turbine Buckets using Impact Testing and Flow Visualization Techniques”, Building New Nepal: Challenges and Opportunities for Engineers, Tenth Annual Convention of the Nepal Engineers’ Association, Kathmandu, 11-13 April, 2007
11. Raju Shrestha, Bhola Thapa, Prakash Gautam, Piyush Upadhaya, “Productivity and Efficiency measurement in Hydraulic Turbines”, Building New Nepal: Challenges and Opportunities for Engineers, Tenth Annual Convention of the Nepal Engineers’ Association, Kathmandu, 11-13 April, 2007
12. Ole Gunnar Dahlhaug, Einar Kobro, Per Egil Skåre, Torbjørn Nielsen, Bhola Thapa, “Efficiency Loss in Pelton Buckets due to Sediment Erosion”, Proc. of 23rd IAHR Symposium on Hydraulic Machinery and Systems, Yokohama, Japan, October 17 - October 21, 2006
13 B. Thapa, R. Shrestha, P. Dhakal and B. Singh Thapa, Problems of Nepalese Hydropower Projects due to Suspended Sediments, Journal of Aquatic Ecosystem Health and Management, Vol 8(3) 2005, pp 251-258
14. Ole G. Dahlhaug, Bhola Thapa, Torbjørn Nielsen, Jonas J. Ruud, “Thermodynamic efficiency measurement of Khimti Hydropower Plant and assessment of sand erosion on turbine components”, Proc of. Hydropower 05 - The Backbone of Sustainable Energy Supply, Int. conf. of International Center for Hydropower, Stavanger May 23-25, 2005
15. Thapa B., Shreshta R., Dahlhaug O.G., “Investigation of Erosion Resistance of Turbine Steels and Coating Materials”, Proc. of Afro-Asian 6th International Conference on Development of Hydropower, Kathmandu June 7-9 2005
16. Thapa B., Dahlhaug O.G., Shreshta R., “Relation between surface roughness and erosion of hydraulic turbine components”, Proc. of India Hydro 2005, Int. conf. of International Hydropower Association, 19 – 21 February 2005, New Dehli, India.
17. Bhola Thapa, “Sand erosion in hydraulic machinery”, PhD Thesis, Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Trondheim, Norway, 2004
Available on http://www.diva-portal.org/ntnu/abstract.xsql?dbid=302
18. Bhola Thapa and Hermod Brekke, “Effect of sand particle size and surface curvature in erosion of hydraulic turbine”, Proc. of 22nd IAHR Symposium on Hydraulic Machinery and Systems, Stockholm June 29 – July 2, 2004
19. Ole G. Dahlhaug and Bhola Thapa, “Sand erosion in a Francis turbine. A case study from Jhimruk power plant Nepal”, Proc. of 22nd IAHR Symposium on Hydraulic Machinery and Systems, Stockholm June 29 – July 2, 2004
20. Bhola Thapa, Ole G Dahlhaug, Raju Shrestha, Krishna P Kaphle, “Sediments of Nepalese Rivers with respect to sand erosion of hydraulic turbine”, Proc. of Ninth International Symposium On River Sedimentation, Yichang, China, October 18-21, 2004
21. Bhola Thapa & Ole G Dahlhaug, “Sand erosion in hydraulic turbines and wear rate measurement of turbine materials”, Proc. of Hydro Africa 2003, Proc. of International Conference on Hydropower, Arusha, Tanzania, 17-19 Nov. 2003
22. Bhola Thapa, Raju Shrestha, Projjowal Dhakal and Biraj Singh Thapa, “Sediment in Nepalese Hydropower Projects”, Proc. of International Conference on the Great Himalayas: Climate, Health, Ecology, Management and Conservation, Kathmandu, 12-15 January 2003, pp 112-115
23. Bhola Thapa, Automatic Grasping Techniques used in Robot or Automatic Machine to Grasp Intricate Solid Object, Information and Communication Review – A Journal of Computer Association of Nepal, Vol 1 (2), 2001, pp 14-21
24. Bhola Thapa, Erosive Wear of Water Turbine due to Sediment in River Water and Problems in Nepalese Hydropower Industry, Spectrum – An Engineers’ Journal of Kathmandu University, Vol 1 (2), 2001, pp 21-27.
25. Bim Prasad Shrestha, Nabin Kumar Shrestha, Laxman Paudel : Classification of Biological and Non Biological Fluvial Particles Using Image Processing and Neural Network, 7343-21, accepted and presented in International Conference of Society of Photonics and Instrumentation Engineers held in Orlando, Florida, USA in April 13-17, 2009.
26. Bim Prasad Shrestha, Bijaya Gautam, Masateru Nagata: Water Quality Monitoring Using Artificial Neural Network and Spectral Image Processing, presented in Japanese Society of Agricultural Machinery conference held in Miyazaki, Japan, March 27-30, 2008.
27. Bim Prasad Shrestha, Bijaya Gautam, Masateru Nagata: Fluvial Particle Characterization Using Artificial Neural Network And Spectral Image Processing, Published by Asian Photonics Conference (Vol 6833) held in Beijing, P. R of China on November 11-16, 2007, organized by Society of Photonics and Instrumentation Engineers ( SPIE ) http://spie.org/x648.xml?product_id=781937
28 . Bim Prasad Shrestha, Bijaya Gautam, Triratna Bajracharya: Computational Analysis of Pelton Bucket Tip Erosion Using Digital Image Processing, Published by Asian Photonics Conference ( Vol 6833 ) held in Beijing, P. R of China on November 11-16, 2007, organized by Society of Photonics and Instrumentation Engineers ( SPIE ) http://spie.org/x648.xml?product_id=781948
29. Shrestha Bim P, Singh Ramesh M, Bajracharya Suman, Karki Summit, Sharma Anam R.: Performance Analysis of Commercially Available Briquettes Using Improved Cooking Stove: Presented during National Seminar on Community Based Bio-briquette held in Kathmandu, Nepal from 30-31 May 2007 organized by small grant program UNDP/N.
30. Bim P. Shrestha, Pramod Basnet, Pradip Gyawali, Pravin Giri: A Study on Design, Fabrication and Application of Solar Tracking System, presented during Asia Regional Workshop on Solar Cooking and Food Processing held in Kathmandu, Nepal on 16-17 April 2007 organized by Center for Rural Technology,Nepal and Alternate Energy Promotion Center/Government of Nepal.
31. Bim P. Shrestha, Summit Karki, Anam R.Sharma, Prasanna Tamrakar: Design and Fabrication of Hybrid type Solar cum Electric Dryer, presented during Asia Regional Workshop on Solar Cooking and Food Processing held in Kathmandu, Nepal on 16-17 April 2007, organized by Center for Rural Technology , Nepal and Alternate Energy Promotion Center/Government of Nepal.
32. Bim P. Shrestha, Daniel E Guyer, Diwan P. Ariana, Renfu Lu: Opto-Electronic determination of insect presence in fruit, Presented during ASABE international meeting held at Portland, Oregon, USA on 9 - 12 July 2006. ( This paper is listed by USDA/ARS publication and can be viewed at http://www.ars.usda.gov/research/publications/Publications.htm?seq_no_115=195987 )
33. Bim P. Shrestha, Diwan P. Ariana, Daniel E. Guyer: Integrating multispectral reflectance and fluorescence imaging for defect detection on apples, Computers and Electronics in Agriculture ISSN 0168-1699, Volume 50, Issue 2, Feb 2006, Page 148-161.
(The abstract is also listed by INIST-CNRS and can be viewed at http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=17460199)
34. Bim P. Shrestha, Sandip K. Suman and Prakash Manandhar,: Fluvial-sedimentary Solid Characterization using Broadband Imaging and Artificial Neural Network. International Conference on “For a better tomorrow - Sustainable Solid Waste Management In Developing Countries”, Jan 11th 2006 , Kathmandu, Nepal.
35. Bim P. Shrestha and Sandip K. Suman: Shape feature extraction and pattern recognition of sand particles and their impact. Proc. SPIE Int. Soc. Opt. Eng. 5996, 59960X (2005). http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2005SPIE.5996..304S
36. Bim P. Shrestha, Amlesh Chaudhary, Amit Kr. Singh and Binod R. Shiwakoti: Current status of food processing industries in Nepal- Constraints and challenges for snacks and noodle industries. Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Innovations in Food Processing Technology and Engineering. 11-13 January 2005. Asian Institute of Technology, Bangkok, Thailand.
37. Bim P Shrestha, Daniel E. Guyer, Diwan P. Ariana: Optoelectronic determination of insect’s presence in fruit. Proceedings of 2003 SPIE International Symposium, (Photonic-East) Rhode Island, USA. http://adsabs.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/nph-bib_query?bibcode=2004SPIE.5271..289S&
38. Bim P. Shrestha, Diwan P. Ariana and Daniel E. Guyer: Integrating reflectance and fluorescence imaging for apple disorder classification. Proceedings of 2003 SPIE International Symposium, (Photonic-East) Rhode Island, USA http://adsabs.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/nph-bib_query?bibcode=2004SPIE.5271..301A&
39. Diwan P. Ariana, Bim P. Shrestha, and Daniel E Guyer: Integrating Reflectance and Fluorescence Imaging for Apple Disorder Classification. Proceedings of the 2003 ASAE Annual International meeting, Las Vegas, USA.
40. Bim P. Shrestha, Masateru Nagata, and Qixin Cao: Study on image processing for quality estimation of strawberries (part-1) -detection of bruises on fruit by color image processing. Journal of Japanese Society of High Technology in Agriculture, 13(2): 115-122(2001)
41. Masateru Nagata, Bim P. Shrestha, and Yoshinori Gejima: Study on image processing for quality estimation of strawberries (part-2) -detection of bruises on fruit by NIR image processing. Journal of Japanese Society of High Technology in Agriculture 14(1):1-9 (2002).
42. Masateru Nagata, Bim P. Shrestha, Yoshinori Gejima: Study on quality estimation for strawberry using color and NIR image processing. Proceedings of 3rd IFAC/CIGR workshop on control application in post-harvest and processing technology, October 3-5, 2001 Tokyo University, Tokyo, Japan.
43. Bim P. Shrestha, Masateru Nagata, Qixin Cao, Pepito M. Bato, and Osamu Kinoshita: Basic study in strawberry sorting system in Japan. Proceedings of the 1997 ASAE Annual International meeting, Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA, ASAE paper No. 973095. (1997).
44. Pepito M. Bato, Bim P. Shrestha, Masateru Nagata, Qixin Cao, and R. Nakashima: Strawberry sorting using machine vision. Proceedings of the 1999 ASAE Annual International meeting, Miluwakee, Wisconsin, USA, Paper No. 993162. (1999).
45. Bim P. Shrestha, Qixin Cao, Masateru Nagata, F. Ishino, Tien D. Vuong and: Study on absorption-type hand for tomato sorting robot. Bulletin of Faculty of Agriculture, Miyazaki University, Japan, 46:53-59. (1999)